Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places

Creslow

"Creslow (Aylesbury, 6 1/2 m.) - Domesday, Creslai - consists of an ancient Manor House S. of the road from Aylesbury to Whitchurch. Below it immense pastures slope to Creslow Brook - often too well known to hunting men; the largest, the Great Field, is 300 acres. For centuries they were the feeding-ground of cattle for the royal kitchen, as is recited in 1596 by Queen Elizabeth's letters patent granting to one Mayne the post of keeper and herd for twenty years."
[Buckinghamshire, by E.S. Roscoe]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions  
Church History Names, Geographical  

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire", E.S. Roscoe, London Methuen & Co Ltd, 1935.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928

Return to top of page

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 4 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Creslow.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 6 inhabitants in 1 families living in 1 houses recorded in Creslow.

Census Year Population of Creslow
1801* 6
1811* 5
1821* 5
1831* 5
1841 7
1851 10
1861 9
1871 6
1881 10
1891 12
1901 5

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

During the reign of Queen Elizabeth I the rectory at Creslow was suppressed, as owing to the decrease in population the church had become a sinecure. The building was eventually desecrated. As such, there are no Parish Registers specifically for Creslow.

According to "The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. - "The inhabitants of this parish attend the church at Whitchurch".

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Creslow was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

CHRISTLOW or CRESTLOW, in the hundred of Cotslow, lies not far from Whitchurch, about six miles north of Aylesbury. The manor which belonged to the priory of St. John of Jerusalem is now the property of Lord Clifford, of Ugbrook, and has been for a considerable time in his family. The parish church was demolished in the civil war, by Cornelius Holland, one of King Charles's judges, and has never been rebuilt. There is now only one house in the parish.

Names, Geographical

The name Creslow is believed to derive from the old english cærsehlaw, meaning 'cress-hill'.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 1st January 2003 - Kevin Quick]