Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places
East Claydon (including Botolph Claydon)

"This parish contains 2395 acres, including 1936 acres of permanent grass and 181 acres of arable land. The slope of the land above the ordnance datum varies from 295 ft. in the east of the parish to 407 ft. in the south-west, the soil being rich clay loam; the subsoil clay and gravel. Wheat, beans, roots and oats are grown, but the chief industry is dairy farming. Pillow-lace was still made by women and children in East Claydon in 1862. Grandborough Road station on the Metropolitan Extension railway and Winslow Road station on the Metropolitan railway are within the borders of this parish."
[© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", Peter Quick.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

Return to top of page

Census

In 1642 there were 86 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £9.9.7 of which sum Jn. Duncombe esq. contributed £4.0.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 71 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in East and Botolph Claydon.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 238 inhabitants (this is the figure in Magna Britannia, but the VCH gives 299) in 61 families living in 45 houses recorded in East Claydon.

Census Year Population of East Claydon
1801* 299
1811* 309
1821* 339
1831* 336
1841 378
1851 361
1861 385
1871 376
1881 341
1891 343
1901 336

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary, East Claydon have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1583 - 1888
Marriages 1584 - 1838
Banns 1756 - 1893
Burials 1584 - 1981

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1576 - 1838
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for East Claydon showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
East Claydon, St Mary 117 - Morning General Congregation
40 - Morning Sunday Scholars
157 - Morning Total

89 - Afternoon General Congregation
40 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
129 - Afternoon Total

70 - Evening General Congregation
35 - Evening Sunday Scholars
105 - Evening Total

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

East Claydon was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

EAST-CLAYDON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies about two miles and a half to the south-west of Winslow. In the reign of Edward III. the manor was in the Greys of Rotherfield, afterwards successively in the Deincourts and Lovels, and at a later period in the families of Lea and Abell. It was purchased of the latter in 1728, by Lord Fermanagh, and is now the property of his niece, Mary Baroness Fermanagh. The manor of Bottle-Claydon, a hamlet of this parish, has passed with it.

[Correction/Addition at the end of Magna Britannia states "Sir Eustace Grenville and Thomas de Haye who married two co-heiresses of Robert Darcic, baron of Coggs, alienated the manors of East-Claydon, Bottle-Claydon, and Shabbington, to Walter de Grey, archbishop of York, who conveyed them to his brother Robert, and Walter his son."]

The church of East-Claydon was demolished during the civil war by Cornelius Holland, one of King Charle's judges: it was rebuilt after the restoration. In this church are some memorials of the families of Abel and Milward. The impropriation of the great tithes, which formerly belonged to the priory of Osney, is vested in Lady Fermanagh, who is patroness of the vicarage.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name Claydon derives from the old english clægig + dun and means 'clayey hill'. For the parish of East Calydon, the addition of the word East is used to denote its geographic location relative to the other Claydons. The meaning of the word Botolph derives from the old english botl and means 'house, building'.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 1st January 2003 - Kevin Quick]