Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places

Fleet Marston

"Fleet Marston is a small parish of three farms and several cottages with an area of 934 acres, which, with the exception of about 24 acres of arable land, is low-lying pasture land of an average height of 250 ft. above the ordnance datum. Both soil and subsoil consist of heavy clay. The church stands in the east of the parish between Akeman Street and the Metropolitan and Great Central Joint Railway."
[© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions  

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

Return to top of page

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 7 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Fleet Marston.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were no returns for Fleet Marston, but according to Magna Britannia there were 22 inhabitants living in 4 houses.

Census Year Population of Fleet Marston
1801* 22 (see above)
1811* 46
1821* 43
1831* 41
1841 38
1851 30
1861 23
1871 37
1881 27
1891 51
1901 53

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary the Virgin, Fleet Marston have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1634 - 1962
Marriages 1630 - 1953
Burials 1630 - 1964

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1630 - 1691
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Fleet Marston showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Fleet Marston, Chapel 8 - Afternoon General Congregation

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Fleet Marston was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

FLEET-MARSTON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies about three miles from Aylesbury, on the road to Bicester. The manor, which was for many years in the Lees, has been lately purchased of their representative, Lord Dillon, by James Dupré esq. of Wilton Park. The advowson of the rectory being then the property of John Tirrel-Morin esq. was advertised for sale in the month of May 1805.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name Marston derives from the words mersc, tun and means 'Marsh farm'. The epithet 'Fleet' refers to a the 'fleet' of brackish water.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 2nd January 2003 - Kevin Quick]