Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places

Great Woolstone

"Great Woolston, or Wolston, is bounded, on the North, by Little Woolston; on the East, by Middleton Keynes; on the South, by Woughton; and on the West, by Loughton and Bradwell.

The two villages of Great and Little Woolston sre situated very near each other, on the road from Fenny-Stratford, through Simpson and Woughton, to Newport Pagnell, on the south side of the Ouse, which, in this part of its course, is extremely irregular. The population of this village, which is situated in a purely agricultural district, amounts, according to the Census of 1841, only to ninety-four individuals; being one of the smallest villages in the County."
[The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Milton Keynes & Wolverton area, Volume 6", Peter Quick.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

Return to top of page

Census

In 1642 there were 24 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £1.9.8 of which sum Edw. Puttnam rector and Wm. Chevall both contributed £0.5.0 each.

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 26 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Great Woolstone.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 113 inhabitants in 27 families living in 21 houses recorded in Great Woolstone.

Census Year Population of Great Woolstone
1801* 113
1811* 116
1821* 108
1831* 120
1841 94
1851 72
1861 71
1871 84
1881 81
1891 80
1901 45

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for Holy Trinity, Great Woolstone have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1947 - 1965
Marriages 1838 - 1965
Burials 1813 - 1971

Many of the registers for Great and Little Woolstone were destroyed in a church fire. Bishops Transcripts are available at the Record Office to cover the earlier years.

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1538 - 1811
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1538 - 1750
1813 - 1878
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1538 - 1810
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Great Woolstone showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Great Woolstone, Holy Trinity 40 - Afternoon General Congregation

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Great Woolstone was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

WOOLSTON-MAGNA, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies three miles south of Newport-Pagnell, on the road to Fenny-Stratford. The manor was anciently in the families of Peyvre and Green, afterwards in the Staffords, from whom it passed by Marriage to the Mordaunts, about the year 1642. It is now the property of William Selby esq. of Winslow, whose ancestor, Mr. Lowndes, became possessed of it about the beginning of the last century.

James Nield esq. is the patron of the rectory. The parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1796, when a corn-rent was settled on the rector in lieu of tithes.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name Woolstone means 'Wulfsige's farm'. The name Great being used as a distinguishing affix.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 3rd January 2003 - Kevin Quick]