Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places

Haversham

"Haversham is situated on the north side of the river Ouse, the Parish being bounded thereby, between Stoney-Stratford and Newport Pagnell, and is nearly equi-distant from those towns, but in the Hundred and Deanery of Newport, before the three ancient divisions were united. It is a very small village, in a low situation, the neighbourhood being often exposed to considerable floods from the river Ouse, on the northern side of which it is built; the Manor-House, Church and Parsonage, being at the western extremity of the place, and no public road passing through it. The extent of the Parish is about one thousand six hundred and five acres, chiefly in meadow, pasture, and woodland."
[The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Volume 1", Peter Quick.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

In 1642 there were 71 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £3.6.10 of which sum Mic. Bostocke minister contributed £0.15.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 64 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Haversham.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 223 inhabitants in 53 families living in 43 houses recorded in Haversham.

Census Year Population of Haversham
1801* 223
1811* 256
1821* 289
1831* 313
1841 283
1851 280
1861 288
1871 262
1881 237
1891 224
1901 200

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary, Haversham have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1665 - 1913
Marriages 1685 - 1836
Burials 1670 - 1975

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1665 - 1913
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1685 - 1941
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1670 - 1936
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Haversham showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Haversham, St Mary 60 - Morning General Congregation
42 - Morning Sunday Scholars
102 - Morning Total

101 - Afternoon General Congregation
42 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
143 - Afternoon Total

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Haversham was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

HAVERSHAM, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies nearly four miles north-east of Stony-Stratford. The manor was in the Peverells at the time of the Norman survey, and afterwards in an ancient family, who took their name from the village. From the Havershams this manor passed by heirs female to the families of De la Plaunch, Pabenham, Hugford, and Lucy. John de Haversham had the king's licence to embattle his mansion at Haversham, in 1304. The Lucys continued to be possessed of the manor till after the middle of the 17th century. In 1664, it was purchased by the Thompsons: John Thompson esq. was created a peer in 1697, by the title of Lord Haversham, which became extinct on the death of his son. The manor was sold by the last Lord Haversham, in 1720, to Lucy Knightley esq. a descendant of its ancient owners, the Lucys. In 1764 it was purchased of Valentine Knightley esq. by the trustees of Alexander Small esq. the present proprietor, then under age. The manor-house, which was the seat of the Thompsons, has been in part pulled down; the remainder is fitted up as a farm-house.

In the parish church is a beautiful monument, with the effigies of a female, lying on an altar tomb, under a rich Gothic canopy, supposed to be that of Elizabeth Lady Clinton, the heiress of the De la Plaunches, whose fourth husband was Sir John Clinton.

Mr. Small is patron of the rectory. In 1763, just before he sold the estate, an act of parliament passed, to enable Lucy Knightley esq. to inclose certain fields in Haversham, and to acquire the tithes and glebe, making a compensation to the rector, by an allotment of land and a corn-rent, then valued at 195 l. per annum.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name Haversham is composed of two parts. The first is a persons name, Hæfer, and the second the old english word ham meaning 'homestead'. Hence, Haversham means 'Hæfer's homestead'.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 1st February 2004 - Kevin Quick]