Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places

Kingsey

"Kingsey is a parish with an area (including the liberty of Tythrop) of 1431 acres, of which 7 acres are covered by water. The greater part (1022 acres) is in permanent grass, while only 315 acres are arable land and 45 acres woods and plantations. The soil is heavy loam, the subsoil clay, and the chief crops are wheat and beans. The land is level, the height generally being about 240 ft. above the ordnance datum. The parish was transferred to Oxfordshire for civil purposes in 1894.

The village stands in a central position on the London road, the church being in the middle, with the manor-house and school on the south-east and the vicarage a quarter of a mile to the north-west. A stream feeding a decoy pond forms a part of the northern boundary of the parish."
[© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred part three - Risboroughs, Missendens and their environs, Volume 9", Peter Quick.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

Return to top of page

Census

In 1642 there were 25 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £2.15.8 of which sum John Lillington vicar contributed £1.10.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 31 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Kingsey.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 165 inhabitants in 36 families living in 21 houses recorded in Kingsey.

Census Year Population of
Kingsey (part of***)
1801* 165
1811* 169
1821* 204
1831* 222
1841 178
1851 202
1861 171
1871 145
1881 151
1891 124
1901 85

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
*** = The remainder is in Oxfordshire (Lewknor Hundred). The entire population is shown in Buckinghamshire, 1801-31. The population given for the part in Buckinghamshire in 1841 is too small owing to an error as to the boundary between the Buckinghamshire part and the Oxfordshire part.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Nicholas, Kingsey have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1538 - 1985
Marriages 1620 - 1963
Burials 1620 - 1985

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1538 - 1812
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1602 - 1840
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1575 - 1812
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Kingsey showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Kingsey, St Nicholas 40 - Morning General Congregation
34 - Morning Sunday Scholars
74 - Morning Total

90 - Afternoon General Congregation
34 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
124 - Afternoon Total

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Kingsey was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

KINGSEY, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery fo Waddesdon, lies on the borders of Oxfordshire, about three miles west of Thame. The manor, during a great part of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, was in the family of Marney. At a later period it was in the Spillers, and passed in marriage, with the daughter and sole heir of Sir Robert Spiller, to the Herberts of Tythorp, (a hamlet of this parish, situiated in Oxfordshire,) a younger branch of the Herberts, Earls of Pembroke. It is now in moieties, one of which belongs to Mrs. Anne Herbert, a maiden lady, sister and coheir of Philip Herbert esq. the last heir male of this branch of the family, who died in 1749; the other moeity passed in marriage to Philip Lord Viscount Wenman, father of the late Lord, and is now by bequest the property of Miss Bertie. The mansion, sometimes called Kingsey, and sometimes Tythorp-House, is the seat of Mrs. Herbert.

The church, which was formerly a chapel of ease to haddenham, is now a distinct vicarage, in the gift of the dean and chapter of Rochester, to whom the great tithes are appropriated. The lease of the tithes has long been vested in the Herbert family, who have frequently, as lessees, presented to the vicarage.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name Kingsey derives from the old english cyning + eg and means ' the King's island'.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 12th January 2003 - Kevin Quick]