Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places
Mentmore (including Ledburn)

"Mentmore is a parish consisting of 1575 acres, of which 396 acres are arable land and 65 woods and plantations. The soil is stiff clay and the sub-soil clay. The land, which is lowest in the north, rises near the village to a height of 421 ft. above the ordnance datum, sinking again towards the south. West of the village is Mentmore Park, the seat of the Earl of Rosebery; the house was built about 1851. The church and vicarage stand just outside the park, the main portion of the village lying to the east. Mentmore Manor House lies to the north-east of the village. It is built of brick, the upper part having timber framework with brick filling, and was probably erected by Thomas Wigge a little before the middle of the 17th century. Ledburn is a scattered hamlet in the north of the parish containing several buildings of the 17th and 18th centuries, including Ledburn Manor House, which, although originally built probably by one of the Enderby family in the latter half of the 15th century, is now substantially a brick house with a tiled roof of the 17th century, with a wing of the 18th century. There is a Baptist chapel which was built in 1840."
[© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Cottesloe Hundred, Bucks, Volume 2", Peter Quick.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

Return to top of page

Census

In 1642 there were 64 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £9.15.10 of which sum Christopher Theed contributed £1.10.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed the following numbers of men between the ages of 16 and 60: Mentmore - 34, Ledburn - 28.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were the following figures:

Census Year Population of Mentmore
1801* 279
1811* 298
1821* 302
1831* 329
1841 348
1851 356
1861 399
1871 408
1881 314
1891 307
1901 289

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary the Virgin, Mentmore have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1685 - 1880
Marriages 1687 - 1990
Burials 1690 - 1969

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1685 - 1829
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1575 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1685 - 1829
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Mentmore showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Mentmore,
St Mary the Virgin
37 - Morning General Congregation
37 - Morning Total

59 - Evening General Congregation
59 - Evening Total

Mentmore,
Ledburn Baptist Chapel
21 - Morning General Congregation
28 - Morning Sunday Scholars

32 - Afternoon Sunday Congregation

70 - Evening

Mentmore,
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
38 - Afternoon General Congregation
21 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars

60 - Evening General Congregation

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Mentmore was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

MENTMORE, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery of Muresley, lies about eight miles to the north-east of Aylesbury. The manor was anciently in the families of Bussel and Zouche: in 1490 it was granted to Sir Reginald Bray, from whom it descended, by a female heir, to the family of Sandys: in 1729, it was purchased with the manor of Leadbourne, by Lord Viscount Limerick, of a Mr. Legoe, who inherited them from the family of Wigg. They are now the property of Richard Bard Harcourt esq. who purchased them of Lord Limerick's son, James Earl of Clanbrassil. In the church are some memorials of the families of Theed and Wigg.

The impropriate rectory, which was given by the Bussells to the priory of St. Bartholomew, in Smithfield, is now the property of Mr. Harcourt, who is patron of the vicarage.

[Correction/Addition at the end of Magna Britannia states "The manor of Berrysted, in Mentmore, with a manor-house near the church, being the property of J. Tirel-Morin esq. were sold in 1804; the manor-house, with the greater part of the estate, was purchased by Mr. Harper."]

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name of Mentmore derives from the old english persons name of Mænta + mor and means 'the moor of a man called Mænta'.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 12th January 2003 - Kevin Quick]