Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places

Newton Longville

"NEWTON, or NEWINGTON LONGUEVILLE, is situated on the South-east verge of the Hundred of Newport, near Cotteslow Hundred; being bounded, on the North, by Bletchley and Water-Eton, in the Township of Fenny-Stratford; on the East, by Great Brickhill, from which it is separated by the tortuous course of the River Ouse; on the South, by Stoke Hammond, Drayton Parslow, and Mursley; and on the West, by Whaddon and the Chase there.

The soil is a very deep stiff clay, intermixed with coarse sand. In the strata of gravel and sand, are found round masses and pebbles of various kinds of sand-stones, flints, lime-stone, and quartz. Among the fossil remains, are abundance of Gryphæa incurvata, and some few ammonites in gravel.

The Parish is about one mile and a half in length, and contains about sixteen hundred acres; which remained, from time immemorial, in the proportions of about 92 acres 3 roods 7 perches, ancient enclosure, and 1490 acres 2 roods 31 perches open and common field."
[The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", Peter Quick.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

War Memorials

War memorials in Newton Longville have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Return to top of page

Census

In 1642 there were 78 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £1.16.0 of which sum Paul Alden contributed £0.5.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 97 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Newton Longville.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 459 inhabitants in 95 families living in 90 houses recorded in Newton Longville.

Census Year Population of Newton Longville
1801* 459
1811* 486
1821* 486
1831* 473
1841 565
1851 595
1861 547
1871 537
1881 471
1891 415
1901 424

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Faith, Newton Longville have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1560 - 1923
Marriages 1560 - 1990
Burials 1560 - 1883

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1560 - 1840
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1560 - 1918
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1560 - 1840
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Newton Longville showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Newton Longville, St Faith 95 - Morning General Congregation
71 - Morning Sunday Scholars
166 - Morning Total

114 - Afternoon General Congregation
77 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
191 - Afternoon Total

Newton Longville,
Baptist Ebenezer
No data for 30 March 1851

Average attendance:

70 - Morning General Congregation
70 - Morning Sunday Scholars
100 - Morning Total

Newton Longville,
PrimitiveMethodist Chapel
96 - Afternoon General Congregation

120 - Evening General Congregation

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Newton Longville was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

NEWENTON, or NEWTON-LONGUEVILLE, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about three miles and a half to the south-west of Fenny-Stratford. An alien priory of Cluniac monks, subordinate to the priory of Longueville, in Normandy, was founded at this place in the reign of Henry I. and suppressed in 1415. In 1442, King Henry VI. gave the priory and most of its lands (among which was the manor of Newenton, given to the priory by Walter Giffard, Earl of Buckingham) to the warden and scholars of New College, in Oxford.

The parish church was rebuilt by the college, soon after they became possessed of the manor, and advowson of the rectory. At the east end of the chancel, on the outside, is a figure of St. Faith, to whom the priory was dedicated. In the chancel are two piscinæ, on one of which are the arms of William of Wickham, the founder of New College, and some other coats. The learned Grocyn, tutor to Erasmus, was rector of this parish.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name Newton derives from the old english niwe + tun, and means 'new farmstead, estate or village'. The feudal addition records the fact that Newton was granted c. 1152-8 to the church of St. Faith of Longueville by Walter Giffard, Earl of Buckingham, who was lord of Longueville as well as Newton.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 18th January 2003 - Kevin Quick]