Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places

Padbury

"The parish of Padbury covers 2013 acres, of which 1537 are pasture, 9 woodland and 332 arable. the soil is chiefly clay and gravel on a subsoil of Oxford Clay, which is worked for brick-making. the Lovatt River, a tributary of the Ouse, forms the parish boundary on the north and west, and its tributary, the Claydon Brook, formerly known as the 'Burn,' divides Padbury from Steeple Claydon. There is a station at Padbury on the Banbury branch of the London and North Western railway.

The village stands at the meeting of the roads from Buckingham, Thornborough, Winslow and Steeple Claydon."
[© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Buckingham Hundred, Volume 7", Peter Quick.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

War Memorials

War memorials in Padbury have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Buckingham Hundred, Volume 7", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Return to top of page

Census

In 1642 there were 22 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £1.12.6 of which sum Susan Harris contributed £0.7.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 122 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Padbury.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 459 inhabitants in 104 families living in 84 houses recorded in Padbury.

Census Year Population of Padbury
1801* 459
1811* 510
1821* 618
1831* 708
1841 696
1851 660
1861 550
1871 601
1881 530
1891 490
1901 439

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary the Virgin, Padbury have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1538 - 1908
Marriages 1538 - 1837
Banns 1754 - 1942
Burials 1538 - 1874

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1538 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Padbury showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Padbury, St Mary the Virgin No attendance figures are given in the return
Padbury,
Primitive Methodist Chapel
10 - Afternoon General Congregation
10 - Afternoon Total

20 - Evening General Congregation
20 - Evening Total

Padbury,
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
74 - Morning Sunday Scholars

198 - Afternoon General Congregation

189 - Evening General Congregation

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Padbury was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

PADBURY, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies about three miles from Buckingham on the road to London. The manor was, till the year 1313, in the descendants of Maigno, the Briton, who held it at the time of the Norman Survey: they were barons of Wolverton, near Stony-Stratford, and took their surname from that place. In the year 1344, a partition being made between the co-heiresses of John de Wolverton, a purparty, or fourth party of this manor was assigned to Hugh Wake, who married his daughter Joan. Having become vested in the crown it was granted, in 1442, to All Souls' college in Oxford, and still belongs to that society. This manor was held under the college for some years by the families of Abell and Salisbury: the lease is now vested in the Rev. James Eyre of Buckingham. The impropriate rectory, at present in severalities, belonged to the priory of Bradwell, and after the suppression of that house, in 1526, was given to the monastery of Shene: the vicarage is in the gift of the crown. This parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament passed in 1795, when allotments of land were assigned to the impropriators and to the vicar.

The gallant Sir Charles Lucas being quartered at Padbury, with a party of the King's troops, in the beginning of July, 1643, defeated a detachment of the parliamentary army under Col. Middleton, who attempted to surprize him in his quarters. The burial of eight soldiers is entered in the register on the second of that month.

A bridge at Padbury was built, by act of parliament, in 1742, and made a county bridge.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name Padbury derives from old english, being a persons name + burh, and means 'Padda's fortified place'.

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 18th January 2003 - Kevin Quick]