Genuki Logo Genuki Contents Contents Main Buckinghamshire Genuki Page Buckinghamshire  Neighbours Nearby Places

Shabbington

"The parish of Shabbington or Shobington is divided from Oxfordshire on the south by the river Thame. Its area is 2138 acres; population, 371; rateable value, £3086. There are 341 acres of wood-land. The soil is a deep stiff clay, subject to inundations from the Thame. The Village is small and stands about 2 1/2 miles W. by N. from Thame."
[History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]

Map showing the location of the parish


Bibliography Church History Names, Geographical
Cemeteries Church Records Photographs
Census History & Descriptions

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Ashendon Hundred, Volume 5", Peter Quick & Bertrand Shrimpton.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

Return to top of page

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 49 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Shabbington.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 184 inhabitants in 40 families living in 33 houses recorded in Shabbington.

Census Year Population of Shabbington
1801* 184
1811* 242
1821* 241
1831* 298
1841 366
1851 397
1861 371
1871 395
1881 351
1891 302
1901 262

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary Magdalene, Shabbington have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1717 - 1982
Marriages 1715 - 1836
Banns 1757 - 1945
Burials 1714 - 1964

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1575 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Shabbington showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Shabbington,
St Mary Magdalene
160 - Morning General Congregation
80 - Morning Sunday Scholars
240 - Morning Total

150 - Afternoon General Congregation
80 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
230 - Afternoon Total

Shabbington,
Wesleyan Methodist
20 - Afternoon General Congregation

30 - Evening General Congregation

Shabbington,
Wesleyan
[probably duplicate
return of entry above]
20 - Afternoon

30 - Evening

Return to top of page

History & Descriptions

Shabbington was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

SHABBINGTON, or SHOBBINGTON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies nearly three miles west of Thame. The manor was anciently in the Greys of Rotherfield, afterwards in the Deincourts and Lovels. The Clerkes of Hitcham, were possessed of this manor as early as the year 1624. Sir John Clerke who was created a baronet in 1660 removed his residence from Hitcham to Shabbington. In 1716 the manor of Shabbington was purchased of the Clerkes by the Heywoods: on the death of William Heywood, last heir male of the family, in 1762, it descended to his sisters and coheirs, and became in consequence of a partition which afterwards took place, the sole property of Mrs. Elizabeth Crewe, relict of his nephew John Crewe esq. of Bolesworth, in Cheshire. Since Mrs. Crewe's decease it has devolved to her son-in-law Lord Viscount Falmouth. The Knights of St. John of Jerusalem had a manor in this parish which was given them in 1299. It was granted in 1588 to Tipper and Daw: we have not been able to trace it any farther.

[Correction/Addition at the end of Magna Britannia states "Sir Eustace Grenville and Thomas de Haye who married two co-heiresses of Robert Darcic, baron of Coggs, alienated the manors of East-Claydon, Bottle-Claydon, and Shabbington, to Walter de Grey, archbishop of York, who conveyed them to his brother Robert, and Walter his son."]

In the parish church are some memorials of the family of Clerke. The great tithes which were appropriated to the priory of the Holy Trinity, in Wallingford, are now the property of the Rev. Philip Wroughton and Mary Anne his wife who are patrons of the vicarage. Mrs. Wroughton was heir of the Tipping family who were many years proprietors of the rectory and advowson.

Thomas Jeamson, son of a vicar of Shabbington published a work called "Artificial embellishments" printed in 1665.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name of Shabbington derives from old english, being a persons name + ing + tun, and means 'farm or estate of a man called Sc(e)obba'

Return to top of page

Photographs

Return to top of page


Valid HTML 4.0![Last updated: 19th January 2003 - Kevin Quick]